Business models or eligible expenses submitted under EXAP must meet the program’s objectives. The applicant’s expertise will determine the most appropriate business model. For example, the following business models or expenses are eligible:
- Creating a development fund for projects intended for export;
- Developing a portfolio of pilot programs and/or formats intended for export;
- Supporting a marketing platform for audiovisual content;
- Developing more advanced tools to facilitate marketing (such as dubbing, subtitling, rebranding or models).
However, the following expenses are inadmissible:
- Expenses currently covered by government programs;
- Costs of maintaining a presence in a given market.
Furthermore, business models must respect the following criteria:
- Encourage Canadian content production;
- Contribute to the improvement of the Canadian broadcasting system;
- Include, eventually, broadcasting on Canadian television;
- Applicant profile must be: producer, distributors or broadcaster;
- The company’s headquarters and decision-making centre must be in Quebec;
- The company must be more than five (5) years old and/or the applicant must have over fifteen (15) years of experience in the audiovisual sector. In all cases the applicant must have previous experience in content marketing or exportation;
- Respect the Quebecor Fund’s requirements for financial contributions;
When investing in projects, the Quebecor Fund gives preference to the following criteria:
- Applicants with a business partner in development and/or marketing;
- Application with confirmation of obtaining a broadcasting licence and/or the financial participation of a broadcaster in the project’s development, at the time of application;
- Content intended for multi-platform distribution;
- Projects allowing for the consolidation of expertise in the development or marketing of audiovisual content for export;
- The creation of intellectual property rights;
- Projects demonstrating the economic benefits for Quebec;
- Applicants who show entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to take risks.