Export Assistance Program (EXAP)
Component Summary Table
- Content development adapted for international markets;
- Marketing of audiovisual content.
- Promoting audiovisual content outside of Quebec;
- Increasing the volume of exports;
- Accelerating the implementation of projects for export (leverage effect).
- Support various business models that encourage the export of Canadian content made for television;
- Target Quebec’s audiovisual market.
Examples of eligible business models and expenses
- Creating a development fund for projects intended for export;
- Developing a portfolio of pilot programs and/or formats intended for export;
- Supporting a marketing platform for audiovisual content;
- Developing more advanced tools that facilitate marketing (such as dubbing, subtitling, rebranding or models).
- Expenses currently covered by government programs;
- Costs of maintaining a presence in a given market.
Criteria for eligibility
- Business models should include, eventually, broadcasting on Canadian television and encourage Canadian content production;
- Applicant profile must be: producer, distributor or broadcaster;
- The company’s headquarters and decision-making centre must be in Quebec;
- The company must be more than five (5) years old and/or the applicant must have over fifteen (15) years of experience in the audiovisual sector. In all cases, the applicant must have previous experience in content marketing and exportation;
- Respect the Quebecor Fund’s requirements for financial contributions.
- Reimbursable investment applicable to the business model financing package;
- The minimum contribution for each business model is $50,000. to a maximum of $300,000, representing no more than 40% of the overall financing package.
- Additional contribution of up to $80,000 by qualifying companies for female shareholding.
Recovery of the investment
- Recovery over a period of thirty-six (36) to sixty (60) months.
- Recovery of investment and return on investment to be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
Favourable criteria in an application
- Applicants with a business partner in development and/or marketing;
- Application with confirmation of obtaining a broadcasting licence and/or the financial participation of a broadcaster in the project’s development, at the time of application;
- Content intended for multi-platform distribution;
- Projects allowing for the consolidation of expertise in the development or marketing of audiovisual content for export;
- The creation of intellectual property rights;
- Projects demonstrating the economic benefits for Quebec;
- Applicants who show entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to take risks.
Filing an application
- Applications can be filed at any time and must be submitted electronically;
- The Quebecor Fund will only accept one application per applicant per fiscal year;
- The Quebecor Fund may invest in the same applicant for a second time depending on past recovery of financial contributions.
Documentation demonstrating eligibility criteria, specifically:
- Proof of the company headquarters and decision-making centre;
- Applicant’s description and experience in exportation;
- Description of the business model;
- Submission outlining financial projections over three to five years and a proposal for the investment plan including recovery;
- Proof of financing of the business model.